Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

Escape to Dalhousie: Your Dream Stay Awaits!

Happy Stay Home Stay Dalhousie India

Happy Stay Home Stay Dalhousie India

Escape to Dalhousie: Your Dream Stay Awaits!

Escape to Dalhousie: Your Dream Stay Awaits! (Or Does It? - A Very Real Review)

Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I just got back from a stay at "Escape to Dalhousie" and… well, it's complicated. They say "Your Dream Stay Awaits," and listen, the views are legit dreamy. But this review isn't about selling you a postcard. It's about the real deal, warts and all. So, grab a cuppa (free Wi-Fi, thank heavens!) and let's dive in.

First Impressions: The Arrival and the Accessibility (or Lack Thereof)

Getting there? That's the first hurdle. We opted for the airport transfer (convenient, if you don't mind the price tag) which, I have to admit, took a good two hours. They do offer free parking though, which is a massive plus if you're driving.

Right off the bat, I have to address the Accessibility situation. Look, the website hinted at "facilities for disabled guests," but let's be real – this isn't exactly a smooth-sailing experience for everyone. While there's an elevator, navigating the property felt a little clunky at times. Wide open spaces are few and far between, and the access ramps could use a touch-up. I didn’t need them, but if you're reliant on a wheelchair, call ahead and ask specific questions. Don't just take their word for it. Do your own inspection!

Internet, Glorious Internet! (And Other Techy Stuff)

Thank GOODNESS for Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! That was a lifesaver. Seriously. I needed to upload those Insta stories of the mountains, and being able to do that without a roaming charge? Pure bliss. They also have Internet [LAN] if you're into that old-school wired life. And Wi-Fi in public areas, so you can Instagram your breakfast buffet (more on that later). I mean, Internet services, in general, were a solid 'yes'.

However, there was the whole ”audio-visual equipment for special events,” thing. This one didn’t really apply to to me, as I was mainly there for leisure, but I do wish I'd brought my own projector (just in case).

The Room: Sanctuary or Slightly Fancy Dorm?

My room? Decent. Clean. The air conditioning was a godsend. And the blackout curtains? Absolute genius. Every single morning, I woke up rested and ready to face the day. Plus, the room was, thankfully, non-smoking (smokers are relegated to the smoking area).

The bed situation? Pretty great. Extra long bed. Definitely a plus. The bathroom? Well, it had a bathtub, a separate shower/bathtub, and a hair dryer. Standard, but functional. I'm not going to lie, the complimentary bottled water was a welcome sight after the long journey.

The Food! (A Rollercoaster of Flavors and Experiences)

Alright, let’s talk food. This is where the dream almost collided with reality. They’ve got a Restaurants serving Asian cuisine in restaurant (amazing!), Western cuisine in restaurant, (International cuisine in restaurant, and even a Vegetarian restaurant!

The Breakfast [buffet]. Oh, the buffet. Let's just say, it was a mixed bag. The Asian breakfast was incredible. The noodles were fresh, the spices were fragrant… honestly, I could have eaten this for every meal. The Western selection, though? A little…predictable. The pastries were okay, the coffee was…coffee. The coffee/tea in restaurant, was good; I appreciated the complimentary tea in the room. You get a bottle of water to take with you for the day, which I appreciated.

The Poolside bar had some really cool drinks and the happy hour was a winner, but I was there one time when they were out of a key ingredient for my favorite drink. Which was a bummer. And remember, the Pool with a view makes you glad you are alive. It was hard for me to leave and move onto the Sauna or the Steamroom because of the view.

There's also a snack bar and room service [24-hour], which is a lifesaver when you’re nursing a late-night craving.

Things to Do & Ways to Relax: Spa, Fitness, and Maybe a Little Regret?

The spa was… a lot. I actually went for a Body scrub and a massage. The massage itself was fantastic, the masseuse was excellent (I think her name was Priya, but don't quote me on it). But the whole experience felt…rushed. Like they were trying to cram as many people in as possible. I wish I had had 10 more minutes just to sit and enjoy the ambiance, but they quickly made me feel like maybe I should just go. The Spa, the Spa/sauna, the Sauna, and the Steamroom looked good. The gym/fitness were decent, nothing fancy.

They have a swimming pool (outdoor) that was beautiful. But it’s also a bit of a gathering point, so if you’re hoping for peace and quiet, maybe opt for a dip at a less crowded time. I went during a busy day, and that kind of lessened the appeal for me.

Cleanliness and Safety: Germs, Germs Everywhere?

Okay, let's applaud "Escape to Dalhousie". They were seriously on top of the hygiene game, and that was one of the BIGGEST pluses given the current state of the world. The Anti-viral cleaning products were evident, the Daily disinfection in common areas gave me a piece of mind, and everywhere you turned, it seemed there was a Hand sanitizer station. The physically distancing of at least 1 meter was surprisingly well enforced. The staff were wearing masks, and you could tell were trained in the safety protocol. Rooms sanitized between stays. Everything felt relatively safe. The staff trained in safety protocol was also a plus.

Extra Perks and Quirks:

  • Babysitting service: They advertise it. But I didn't have any kids in tow, so I couldn't test it.
  • Cashless payment service: Super convenient.
  • Concierge: Extremely helpful with suggestions and booking taxis.
  • Daily housekeeping: Always a plus, especially if you’re messy like me.
  • Doorman: A real touch of elegance.
  • Doctor/nurse on call: Thankfully, I didn't need one, but it's good to know.
  • Gift/souvenir shop: Souvenirs? Check
  • Luggage storage: Handy for those early check-ins/late check-outs.
  • Meeting/banquet facilities: Not my thing, but seemed well-equipped
  • Pets allowed unavailable: No pets allowed. I was just glad that I didn't have to look after them.

The Verdict: Should You Escape?

So, "Escape to Dalhousie: Your Dream Stay Awaits." Dream? Maybe. A really, really good stay? Absolutely. It's got its quirks, and you should definitely manage your expectations on accessibility. But the views are killer, the food (especially the Asian) is fantastic, and the overall vibe is pleasant.

The Offer: Book Now and Get a Free Upgrade!

Ready to escape? Book your stay at "Escape to Dalhousie" in the next week and receive a complimentary upgrade to a room with a balcony overlooking the valley! PLUS, enjoy a free "Welcome Drink" at their poolside bar. This offer is only valid for stays of three nights or more. Don't wait – the mountains are calling! And they're waiting for you… probably. Go get them!

Uncover Siquijor's Secrets: Genevieve's Magical Guest House & Tours!

Book Now

Happy Stay Home Stay Dalhousie India

Happy Stay Home Stay Dalhousie India

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because we're heading to Dalhousie! Not the pristine, Pinterest-perfect Dalhousie you're probably imagining. This is my Dalhousie, the one that smells faintly of pine and questionable butter chicken, and where my carefully laid travel plans are about as reliable as a Bollywood romance. Here we go:

HAPPY STAY HOME STAY DALHOUSIE: A Messy-Ass Itinerary (Because Let's Be Real)

Day 1: The Great Escape (and the Mild Panic)

  • Morning (8:00 AM - 12:00 PM): The Exodus begins! Or, you know, the trek to the airport. I swear, packing is the closest I get to a panic attack these days. Did I remember my earplugs? (Spoiler alert: No. I never remember my earplugs.) Taxi! Oh, the glorious chaos of Indian traffic. I think I aged a year just dodging that auto-rickshaw. Flight to Delhi. (Delhi! Pray for me.)
  • Noon (12:00 PM - 2:00 PM): Land in Delhi, survive customs (the first hurdle!), and a quick lunch. The food at the airport, as always, felt like a culinary crime against humanity. But hey, gotta fuel up for the next leg. Mental note: find a decent coffee place immediately upon arrival in Dalhousie. Serious withdrawal symptoms brewing.
  • Afternoon (2:00 PM - 6:00 PM): Delhi to Pathankot. The train… oh god, the train. I’m picturing a bustling, chaotic, and utterly charming experience. I’m hoping for windows with good views, and am planning on buying some local snacks from the hawkers. Pray for the snacks. I’m expecting some Indian snacks, I hope they are spicy. Try to catch some sleep if possible, because the next few days are going to be tiring.
  • Evening (6:00 PM - 9:00 PM): Arrive in Pathankot and drive to Dalhousie! The anticipation is killing me. Check into the "Happy Stay Home Stay." Fingers crossed it lives up to its name. I'm imagining a cozy room, maybe a fireplace, definitely a hot shower. Or, you know, at least a shower that works. Dinner: whatever's available. Probably a hearty, filling meal to combat the cold mountain air. I am going to be so hungry.
  • Night (9:00 PM - onwards): Collapse in bed. Journal. Or scroll through social media for an hour. Consider the meaning of life. Probably fall asleep to the sounds of the wind howling through the trees.

Day 2: The Tourist Trapped…And Loving It!

  • Morning (8:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Wake up…maybe. Jet lag is a cruel mistress. Then again the view would be worth it. Explore the area around Kalatop. The air here will be so fresh, there will be peace. Walk around and check everything out.
  • Noon (12:00 PM - 2:00 PM): Lunch! Probably some Dalhousie staple. Maybe I'll be brave and try the momos. Or just stick to Butter Chicken. Safety first, right? (Okay, maybe it's my third butter chicken, but shhhh.)
  • Afternoon (2:00 PM - 6:00 PM): Explore the main town, see the church, visit the mall road. Shop. Buy all the souvenirs. (Okay, maybe I went a little overboard with the cashmere shawls last time, but they were SO SOFT! The shawls, not the people.)
  • Evening (6:00 PM - 9:00 PM): Dinner. Do it again. See if there is a local restaurant or food outlet.
  • Night (9:00 PM - onwards): Stargazing! If the skies are clear, that is. The mountains are probably more majestic than I give it credit for.

Day 3: Doubling Down on Adventure

  • Morning (8:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Hike! Find a nice trails and make some memories.
  • Noon (12:00 PM - 2:00 PM): Lunch in the mountains.
  • Afternoon (2:00 PM - 6:00 PM): More trails! Maybe attempt something moderately challenging. (Okay, maybe very moderately challenging. My fitness level is…questionable.)
  • Evening (6:00 PM - 9:00 PM): Dinner. Relax. Recover. Prepare for the next day of adventure. Because let's be honest, I will be dead tired again.
  • Night (9:00 PM - onwards): Repeat last night's activities. Read that book that has been sitting in my bag for months, the book is the only reason I have made this trip.

Day 4: The Grand Finale? (Or, The Existential Crisis of Departure)

  • Morning (8:00 AM - 12:00 PM): Last-minute souvenir shopping. Pretend I'm not on the verge of a full-blown breakdown because it's almost time to leave. One last chai. One last stroll. One last…everything.
  • Noon (12:00 PM - 2:00 PM): Lunch. The food is gonna be good, I am gonna be full.
  • Afternoon (2:00 PM - 6:00 PM): Pack. (Ugh. This is the worst part.) Double-check that stupid packing list. Are the earplugs definitely in the bag this time? Drive back to Pathankot.
  • Evening (6:00 PM - 9:00 PM): Train back to Delhi.
  • Night (9:00 PM - onwards): Arrive in Delhi. Collapse again. Curse my inability to plan better. Drink a celebratory beer from the mini-bar. (Or two.)

Day 5: Goodbye (Until Next Time…Probably Sooner Than I Think)

  • Morning: Flight home. The journey will be long.
  • Afternoon: Home sweet home.
  • Evening: Planning my next trip before it is a distant memory.

Important Notes:

  • This itinerary is subject to change based on my mood, the weather, and the availability of butter chicken.
  • I will likely get lost at least once. Don't judge.
  • Expect a healthy dose of complaining. It’s part of the experience.
  • I will probably overspend. It’s inevitable.
  • I’m hoping to make some memories, laugh a lot, and maybe, just maybe, find a tiny bit of peace amidst the chaos. Wish me luck!

So, there you have it. My delightfully messy, gloriously imperfect Dalhousie adventure. Wish me luck (I'll need it). I'll update you all when I get back (or when I can get a signal strong enough to send a postcard). Wish me luck. I'm off to embrace the beautiful mess! And maybe buy a few extra cashmere shawls. Just in case.

Luxury Borella Living: Oval View Residencies Awaits!

Book Now

Happy Stay Home Stay Dalhousie India

Happy Stay Home Stay Dalhousie India

Escape to Dalhousie: Your Dream Stay... Seriously?! Let's Talk!

Okay, so like, Dalhousie... is it *really* as dreamy as it looks in those Instagram photos?

Ugh, Instagram, am I right? Everything's filtered! Look, Dalhousie is... well, it's pretty. Picture this: You're standing on top of a hill (after a lung-busting hike, let's be real!), and the Himalayas are just... *there*. Majestic AF.

But! And this is a BIG but... Those perfectly crisp photos? They don't show the *slightly* dodgy roads that get you there. My taxi driver, bless his heart, nearly lost a wheel navigating one of those switchbacks. And the "breathtaking sunrise" I was promised? Fog. Just a wall of glorious, damp fog. So, yes, dreamy bits? Absolutely. Flawless? Nah. Embrace the imperfections, that's my advice.

What's the deal with the hotels? Are they actually comfortable? I'm a bit of a princess, you know...

Comfort? Depends on your definition! I stayed at a place that was supposed to be "luxury." Luxury, as it turned out, involved a slightly lumpy mattress, a shower that oscillated between freezing and scalding, and a power outage that lasted all night. Romantic, when you’re huddled under a blanket with only a flickering phone light for company, right?

Then, I moved to another hotel where the view... was… spectacular. Like, picture postcard spectacular. But the Wi-Fi? Non-existent. Completely off the grid, which did force me to actually, you know, *talk* to people. I think I even made a friend with the hotel's cranky (but secretly lovely) chef. So, comfort is relative. Prep for basic, but beautiful.

I’m a “foodie.” What can I expect from the food scene? Is it all just... *momos*?

MOMOS! Oh, the momos. They're EVERYWHERE. And 90% are DELICIOUS. Seriously, I may have eaten my body weight in momos during that trip. But YES, there's more! You get your Tibetan and Himachali cuisine, you can get some delicious curries at some small roadside restaurants, and the local tea? Forget Starbucks; you'll be hooked.

That said… don't expect Michelin-star dining. I had one meal that was so spicy, it felt like my mouth was on fire. I'm a pretty good cook, and some of the ingredients were quite hard to get. It made me appreciate the ingredients. But that experience was… memorable, let's just say. Pack some antacids, just in case.

What's there to *do*? I get bored easily.

Okay, boredom is NOT tolerated. Dalhousie's got you covered. First of all, the views. You will spend a LOT of time just… staring. It's therapeutic.

Seriously though, there's hiking, of course. Go to Khajjiar. See a waterfall and explore the surrounding forest. Visit the churches. Take pictures. I did. So many pictures. You can also shop for souvenirs. I got a pashmina shawl. Which I promptly snagged on a tree branch. But still, it was worth it!

Is it a good place to go with kids/family?

Hmm, tricky one. It *can* be. The scenery is great, and that can keep some kids happy. But the roads… again with the roads! And the altitude sickness potential!

I remember a family at my hotel. The dad was grumpy. The kids were whining. The mom looked like she'd rather be anywhere else. I overheard them arguing about the lack of Wi-Fi. So... maybe. If your kids are adaptable and you're prepared for potential meltdowns, sure. Otherwise, maybe wait a few years. Consider the mood of your family. The road, the altitude, and the lack of distractions can easily be a mood killer.

What's the best time to go?

Spring/Summer (March to June): Perfect weather. Flowers blooming. But also, the most crowded. Expect higher prices.

Monsoon (July to Sept): Lush green landscapes, but landslides and rain can ruin your plans. The fog will be back.

Autumn (October to November): Clear skies, crisp air. My personal pick! The crowds thin out a bit, and the views are *stunning*.

Winter (December to February): Cold! Snow! Beautiful, but some roads might be closed. Also, some places won't be open either. If you like snow, go for it. Otherwise, probably not. But the snow is gorgeous!

Okay, fine, I'm convinced (sort of). What should I PACK?!

Layers! Layers are your best friend. The weather can change in literally five minutes. Warm clothes, a waterproof jacket (trust me), comfortable shoes for walking, and a hat and gloves. Sunscreen, especially if you're hiking. And a portable charger! Because, trust me, you will be taking lots of pictures.

Don't forget any medications you need. Bring some snacks. And, if you're anything like me, a really good book. Oh! And a sense of humor. You're going to need it.

Any tips on negotiating prices for stuff (taxis, souvenirs, etc.)?

Haggling is EXPECTED! Start low, smile a lot, and be prepared to walk away. Seriously, don't be afraid to haggle for taxis or souvenirs. It's practically a national sport.

I haggled so hard for a scarf once, then realized it had a giant hole in it. So, win some, lose some. Also, always ask your hotel for recommendations regarding transport. They usually have reliable sources.

Is it safe? I'mStaynado

Happy Stay Home Stay Dalhousie India

Happy Stay Home Stay Dalhousie India

Happy Stay Home Stay Dalhousie India

Happy Stay Home Stay Dalhousie India

Post a Comment for "Escape to Dalhousie: Your Dream Stay Awaits!"